7/23/2014

BIRTHDAY CAKE PROTEIN DONUTS
























Monday started off with my birthday cake protein shake!
Today, we're enjoying some birthday cake protein donuts!
It's very rare that you'll find me eating donuts and when you do, I'll be eating a sprinkled one. Isn't that everyone's favorite? If it's not, it probably should be. I mean, look at all those pretty rainbow colored sprinkles, don't they make you happy?

Donuts remind me of my childhood. They remind me of the days my mom used to buy donuts for me and my sister when we would go to work early with her. We always got spinkled donuts, donut holes, and pigs in a blanket. Sometimes a drink if mom felt like being extra nice.

These days the only time you'll find me in a donut shop is when I have my nephew with me. He really likes donuts, sprinkled ones too, and I treat him when he comes over with donuts for breakfast. Even then, I never by myself a donut. For one thing, they're not the healthiest treat. Second, they're not gluten free. Otherwise, I'd probably have one a day. Okay, not really.

I do enjoy eating donuts though and it's been a very long time since I've had one, a real one. Although these aren't fried like the traditional ones, they're just as delicious and much healthier. They're more cake like than anything but they satisfy the sweet tooth I occasionally have. They also satisfy my desire to celebrate my birthday all week while staying healthy.



 Not only are these beauties sprinkled but they're also mini donuts! It's like my two favorite things came clashing into one; sprinkles and anything mini. I've had my fair share of failed donut recipes but these were perfect and I couldn't wait to share them with y'all. I used my Babycakes mini donut maker but a mini or regular sized donut pan should work. I also used a batter pen to make it easier to put into the pan. The pen makes everything look nice and clean!

I forgot to mention, these beauties are gluten free!























BIRTHDAY CAKE PROTEIN DONUTS
Author: Shape Up to Wake Up
Makes: 18 mini donuts

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup sweetener (I used Truvia)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp butter extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
For the frosting
  • 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (you could use another flavor too!)
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (add more depending on consistency)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Turn on your Babycakes donut maker or preheat the oven to 350 F if using a donut pan.
  • Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  • Mix wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
  • Pour the dry mix into the wet mix and mix until fully incorporated and smooth.
  • Pour your batter into your batter pen then fill the donut maker with the batter.
  • The donuts will be ready when the bottom is a golden brown and the top bounces back up when touched.
For the frosting
  • Mix the protein powder and milk together until you reach the consistency of glue. If you'd like a thin glaze, add more milk.
I hope you enjoy these donuts as much as I do! Now you can enjoy donuts and not feel guilty about it!

xo,


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10